Question
Posted by: Lund | 2012/01/13

After Birth Depression

After the birth of my baby and up to date I have after birth depression. It has been two year now and I am still on medication.

I believe I will be on medication all my life. Is it a good idea to have another baby, is it possible to have another baby. My husband wants another child.

Post-natal depression is more common than most people realize. If you want to consider haing another child, do discuss this with your psychiatrist who can properly assess the situation. It is possible, but proper planning is adviseable, about which medications to use, and when, and whether ( and when ) to reduce or stop them temporarily. Some meds are relatively safe in pregnancy, others are not, And discuss with your shrink the issue of what YOU want. One must respect that your husband might want another child, that's very reasonable, but he doesn't have to bear it, and one should proceed in that direction only if you want it, too.

3
Posted by: Gail. | 2012/01/25

DO NOT have another baby! See an endocrinologist and have your hormonal levels checked as well as thyroid. If you are on anti-depressants or tranqillisers for post natal depression this will affect libido. Make sure you''re not suffering from any deficiencies like anaemia. Doctors put one on anti-depressants when really what you need is couples therapy from a psychologist. Having a baby is a huge adjustment if you are a vibrant, independent and ambitious funloving person. Suddenly your whole life is turned upside down. Men even the ones who love and find you sexy and everything, really don''t understand what an adjustment being a mother is. You are never alone again, suddenly you are torn between two loves and ... This is why you need to ensure that physically and hormonally you are in tip top condition. If you are, then you do the psychology but your husband must be part of the treatment or else you will be seen as the one with a problem. Maybe a sexologist will help - reassure your husband that you do still love him but you are just not ready if that is the truth. If not your problem is deeper and it is his problem too. I so wish I had had an option to do this after my first child all those years ago but there were financial and other things going on which neither he nor I acknowledged. We did have two more children but I ended up having a nervous breakdown and we did separate when the third was 6 and he had an affair. You are no longer a couple but a threesome and you are not enjoying that and he isn''t aware of that. You could see someone at Famsa if money is tight. Try not to go the antidepressant route but do not resist it if it allows you to function and be a good mother. Just be aware that all meds have side effects and pressure and stress aggravates them.

Reply to Gail.

Posted by: Liza | 2012/01/13

If your post natal depression hasn''t cleared up in the past two years, it''s definitely time to see a specialist psychiatrist to review the medication you''re using. If you''ve only been using medication and haven''t done CBT-style therapy, you should consider that as well. CBT is great to teach you how to change negative thinking habits that cause depression into positive thinking habits that will reduce your depression without pumping your body full of medications.

You don''t say which medication you''re using and they all have different effects on an unborn child, but there are some that are relatively safe to use during pregnancy. You''ll need to speak to a psychiatrist about this.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza