Posted by: Jinx | 2008-11-24

After birth depression

Hi I’ m worried about a friend her son is 4 months old and it seems like she doesn’ t register from time to time, as if her head is stuck in clouds, her mood changes drastically, she hits and screams at her husband, forgets if she feed the baby, she doesn’ t know what to do she stands and stairs at things, speaks to herself in the third person,can you tell me it this is after birth depression or is there something ells wrong?

And nobody listens to me they keep ons saying that she is just crazy, and shelfish and foolish and that she does this to upset everybody and to get attantion, but i was with her for a few hours and you can see in her eyes that she isn' t there all the time.

Can she harm the baby?
Can she harm herself?

Her husband isn' t home most of the time he works long hours.

I' m really worried about her.

It feels like nobody believes me that there is something wrong with her what can i do?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jinx
I am very concerned about your friend and would suggest that you seek medical advise urgently. After birth postnatal depression can develop and more serious post natal Psychosis, which sounds like what your friend is experiencing. A psycologist or psychiatrist would be the best person to contact and yes if someone reacts like this, she can indeed harm her baby. Just make an appointment and put her in the car to go and see someone.