Posted by: Michelle | 2008-11-12

After 1 month no results :(

I have been running 3 to 4 times a week 25 minutes for the past month and there is not results, in fact I am getting fatter and fatter. I really try to eat the right foods but drink alot of Steltzer Cranberry/Rasberry water. Is flavoured water fattening, should I rather drink something like Sprite Zero or plain water? My height is 1,63 and I nowweigh 61kg.

Hi there Michelle

Difficult one. It would take some real detective work to figure out the source of the problem. The first thing is that you're not actually overweight -your BMI is 22.9, and so it might be that you don't have too much weight to lose. What I do think is certain is that it's not likely that your problem is down to Sprite Zero or flavoured water. Of course, if you drink these things excessively then it does become a problem, but in moderation, I don' think it is, and you're likely to be overcomplicating things by looking into that in so much detail.

I think you need to step back, and assess your goal, and what you're doing to get there, because it seems you've become bogged down in the minute details, and I don't think they hold the answer. So I'd see a dietician about the diet, and a trainer about exercise, and make sure that you're doing things the right way.

Posted by: Taz | 2008-11-15

Personally I dont think 25 mins is enough, you should try aim for 40mins, even if you run for 25 and jog/fast walk the rest. Your body burns carbohydrates for the first 20mins of exercise thereafter it only burns fat so technically you are only burning fat for 5 mins each time. And like Rade said above, muscle weighs more than fat so you will be heavier on the scale but that doesnt mean you are getting fatter. Youre probably losing cm while you are weighing more, funny as that sounds.

Good luck with your programme and hang in there

Reply to Taz
Posted by: Rade | 2008-11-12

When you are referring to getting fatter, I think what you are effectively saying is that you are weighing more.
Exercise increases muscle weight and drinking water increases water retention, which will result in you weighing more in both instances.
You should measure your waist in centimeters to effectively be able to tell whether you appear fatter or not.

Reply to Rade
Posted by: ta | 2008-11-12

hang in there!!!!
stick to plain water. watch your diet.
increase your running to perhaps 40mins once a week and 30 mins the other 3 times. but don' t give up!!
it will get better and you WILL see results!
you might " gain"  weight because your blood volume is increasing ie. you are getting fitter. and gaining muscle as well. that happens before we lose fat!!!
but really, hang in there!

Reply to ta