Question
Posted by: Brian Hammond | 2011/08/12

African Mango

WHERE DOES THIS FRUIT GROW AND WHERE CAN ONE BUY THIS FRUIT THE REASON I AM ASKING I LIVE IN THE WESTERN CAPE/BRACKENFELL
ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION THE LAST TIME I SAW AND ATE THIS FRUIT WAS IN RESERVOIR HILLS DURBAN AND THATS SOME 45 YEARS AGO AND THEREWAS AN ABUNDANCE OF THESE TREES AND WOULD LIKE TO MENTION THAT WHEN THIS FRUIT IS RIPE IS TASTES FANTASTIC
REGARDS
BRIAN

Dear Brian
I would like to apologise for only answering your question today, but I was away and had asked for the DietDoc Message Board to be switched off in my absence, something that evidently was not done.
I am not sure if the African Mango (Irvingia gabonensis) is cultivated in SA. As far as I can ascertain, the African Mango that is used for slimming purposes grows in West Africa. I would imagine that it would also grow well in our country and if it proves to be a safe and effective slimming aid, then I can imagine that our fruit farmers would start cultivating this type of mango on a larger scale. I am most interested that you have actually eaten the fruit and that it grew in Reservoir Hills Durban. Keep in mind that the slimming product is a high-fibre extract and not the fruit per se.
Thank you for your most interesting contribution.

1

Dear Brian