Question
Posted by: JPH | 2008/07/10

Afraid of little dogs

My 2½ year old daughter gets histerically when a little dog came near her. How can I help her get through this phase. My husbands son brought a little dog to the home and my husband feels that she must just get over him. I would really appreciate it if you could give me advise.

Its understandable but not helpful to expect someone to "just get over" a phobia --- if they could, they would already have done so --- who wants to get hysterical ? Best take her to see a child psychologist, as it shouldn't take long to help her to unlearn this fear, and the availability of a cute and friendly little puppy may become bery useful in the treatment.

1
Posted by: Britty | 2008/07/11

As a child I was so afraid of cats and dogs and yes despite my fear my parents got a cat. Poor animal and I had a terrible time and it was a period of great fear for me. Unfortunately the cat died of a badly botched op but I was relieved and my parents did not try and get another animal until I was about 12 years of age. The neighbours cat had kittens and I was still afraid so that didn't help either.

But when I was about 12 my father got a puppy and I loved it. When I left home I took on a number of cats and really I could not have done without them. Personally I reckon that maybe waiting until your daughter is older might be better or when she is ready - lets face it children your daughter's age are even afraid of Father Xmas - I sometimes think we expect very young children to cope with too much, they have so much learning and growing to do and it takes time. Whatever you do make sure your child is happy.Good luck.

Reply to Britty