Question
Posted by: Unique | 2010/02/16

Afraid I might get depressed again

I have been depression for about 2 years. I' m scared I might go back there because of the circumstances I' ve been working under for about a year. It' s a long story but I' ve been very unhappy. I started waking up at 3am every day. I have lost all the love/interest/drive I' ve ever had for this job. I actually don' t care anymore about what we as a team are trying to achieve. I feel undervalued and unappreciated. I have requested to be moved to another team ( I work for abig company) that can use my skills better but I am told that my current team is already short staffed. I applied for another job in the company but I was ' managed out'  of the short list - Iinvestigated and HR said I have the right to put an industrial case ' cos there is no explanation as to how my name fell out of the short list. I have had other managers request to have me temporarily on their team. I was told no my current department has a lot of work. Basically I' m stuck! So I sat with my boss to go through my worklist - it full of things that I did 5 years ago -there is zero challenge. I told him this and he says I can add more things. The fact there is nothing in his department that I find interesting. I volunteered to do work for a sister department , I was told this is irresponsible ' cos there is a lot of work here.

Anyway I run a small business on the weekends - it doesn' t even make a quarter of my salary yet (it' s new). I' m considering quiting and focus on my business and my family. I know it won' t substitute my salary but I can grow it and have other supplementary venture that I can pursue - these I can' t pursue while I' m full time.

I hate having to do this boring work. I hate being here...

Anyway I' m worried about depression now ' cos I' m starting to cry all the time.

Hello U,
There can be a difference between unhappiness and Depression, and either or both may need to be dealt with. The early morning wakening is typical of Depression, and treatment should include medication and CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ).
Much of what you describes sounds like unhappiness, and related to a highly selfish boss and team which, whether or not you are unhappy, does not want to do without you. Maybe it'd be worth consulting the Dept of Labour and a good labour lawyer, as it sounds as though the company may be allowing this guy to disregard the requirements of labour law and regulation.
Get a proper asessment of your mental state and the bst treatment for it, from a good local psychiatrist, too. And i you are ill and this could be related to your working conditions, this could also be legally relevant.
Manwhile, why not let your part-time business grow a bit more ( and the economy is improving a bit ) so it becomes a more viable alternative for you.

1

Hello U,