Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2011/02/03

Afraid

I am afraid the bipolar is going to kill me.
I can sort of handle the highs cause at least then i have some desire to live. But the lows, well, the lows fill me with so much anxiety and terrible thoughts. I struggle to get up in the morning, i struggle to get through my work, i struggle to communicate with everyone. I want to believe that i will find the right medication and that i will be ok, but the uncertainty about that fills me with fear. Dont know if i can keep on fighting this thing in my head. I do the right things, i go for psychotherapy, i see my shrink often, i take the medication. But still i feel stuck in a never ending circle. How is research about this coming, any chance of cure in the near future?

Bipolar doesn't usually kill us. Indeed, it can be more like seasickness, which doesn't kill anyone, but can make us fel so awful we wish it would.
Your psychotherapist ought to be using a CBT approach, to helping you find the purposes in living, and how to remain usefully active even when depressed. And how to vope with uncertainty - life is always uncertain ; it's just that with some conditions, we are more aware of that degree of uncertainty.
I doubt we will find, or should be looking for a CURE for Bipolar - medicine actually very rarely CURES things ; but there are new and improved treatments being developed steadily, and CONTROL of such disorders is becoming more practical and more achievable. We need to learn the art of living with whatver disorders life produces for us, rather than expecting to be totally without disorder ( actually a very rare situation ).

2
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/02/03

I hardly know anything about this illness, maybe you should make a small book of happy things you have done and or still want to do in the future " happy things"  or stick a few little things around your workstation and when you have these thoughts you should page through the " happy book"  and re-direct your thoughts.

Just an idea

Reply to Outsider