Posted by: dw | 2012-02-08

Hi. I battle to show affection in a relationship. How do I change this? My parents were not overly affectionate with me or with eachother when I was growing up and I think it comes from then. I try and be more affectionate but it feels very forced and unnatural. If I keep on forcing myself, will it become more natural? Thanks.

Its true that if ne grows up with parents who are unaffecionate, or at least undeomnstrative of their affections, you may have difficulty later learning to show your affections yourself. Forcing such things isn't usually the best idea, but see it more as experimenting. Acting in affectionate ways you have seen in others, especally the person you fel good about, may soon sop feeling artificial --- sometimes one's feelings match the behaviour after a while. A counsellor / psychologist could hlp guide you through such a process more efficiently