Question
Posted by: Tired | 2012/10/22

Affadvit

I offered to loan my BF of 5 yrs a large amount of money (15 thousand) to sort out some problems of his. He didnt ask. I offered. A few days after my offer he asked if he could take me up on the offer and I said yes but we need to discuss repayments, interest etc. I also asked if we were going to sign an agreement to which he said he will sign a letter. I then asked if an affidavit wouldnt be better than a letter. Now he is angry and saying I don''t trust him etc etc. Our relationship has been on/off for 5 yrs so I am just trying to cover myself. Am I wrong for asking for an affidavit? Should I be happy with just a letter signed from him?

Loans between friends very often lead to problems and loss of friendship ; loss of interes in both senses of the word !
Even after 6 years, 15 thousand is an awful lot of money ( and if he's not offering to pay you interest, a significant loss for you ) - and its not a question of "trust" - of course there should be proper documents drawn up and signed, and a letter is probably not enough, thopuh a lawyer or your bank could better advise on that.
WHY does he find the idea threatening and bothersome ? If he sincerely means to pay it back, in whatever time is specified, where's the problem ? All details should be discused then covered in the document - when does he start and finish paying it back ? If he was excellent in money matters, he wouldn't need the loan.
What is to happen if he cant pay it back ? What if he does ? At least an affidavit would let you claim against his estate. Why does this bother him ? Or is he looking for a gift ?

3
Posted by: hilly | 2012/10/23

Tell him to go to capitec or african bank u are not a bank

Reply to hilly
Posted by: Never again | 2012/10/23

Dont do it...i lent my ex 2500 also offered he didnt ask...all was rosy at the time and sometime after that we broke up...needless to say i havent seen a cent of that money, he stopped taking my calls and he went as far as to tell his collegues that when i call they must say he is not there.(i am friends with one of them as i used to work there and he told me this)..please dont give this man 15000 it is just not worth it..you will live to regret that decision..

Reply to Never again