Posted by: Lin | 2008-11-02

Advise regarding PCOS and fertility

What' s your thoughts on anti-obesity drugs like:
- Orlistat (Xenical)
- Sibutramine ( Merida)

Also the drug D-Pinitol (drug that works the same as glucophage).

I have a 3 year old little boy and we' ve been trying for baby number 2 since his birth. On and off Clomid and Gonal-f.
Currently we' re on our 5th treatment time.

Do you think I should go for ovarian drilling? I have severe Pcos.

Dear Lin

I would certainly discourage the use of Xenical and Merida, as there are numerous nutritional imbalances that occur with the use of Xenical and in particular in the areas of fat-soluble vitamins. I would suggest that you consider in-vitro maturation as an option with limited ovarian stimulation. Obviously the glucophage or equivalent drugs are to be recommended throughout the treatment together with dietary control and exercise.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim