Posted by: Lucy | 2009-02-20

advise please

Hi there everyone.
I need some advise please, i think a friend might be doing drugs and would like to help him, when i confronted him he denied it.

yesterday he went to work and doesn' t remember half the day, his pupils are non existant and his eyes are a pale almost see through colour - he didn' t remember how to get home and when i spoke to him about a place we go often he had no idea what i was talking about.

He walks around dazed - almost like someone who is totally drunk - but doesnot smell of liquor

His mood swings are quite unbelievable as well one day he is as happy as anything the next suicidal.

I know he has done drugs in the past - do you guys think he' s sick or doing drugs? and if its drugs how do i help him.

I wish people would lose the word "confront" as it is so rarely a useful thing to do. But what you are describing is someone either seriously sick in some way, or deeply affected by the use of large quantities of some drug or drugs, and likely to get himself into serious trouble. But unless he is either picked up by the police in a public place or for doing something wrong, and they might choose to get a police surgeon to examine him ; or unless he collapses in a public place and is taken to a hospital for assessment, ; he would be hard to help unless and untill he recognizes that he is in a serious state and seeks help voluntarily. If he has family, you could contact them, and they might have found ways to help him previously ; and if he has a GP, you could inform the doctor that he may well be a danger to himself in this state. There are ways that someone could be compulsorily admitted for assessment and treatment, but this would need the involvement of a doctor who knows him and of his family.

Posted by: Wendy | 2009-02-20

Yes they are always in denial, my ex fiance is likewise....does drugs and carries alcohol in his car booth, being in IT he has enough time to do this...just show his face at work then gone....last week he was shooting....completely out of control...he could have killed someone but having the money to bribe his way out did so...until the next time.....i left him he went out of yes speak to his family if you know them...

Reply to Wendy