Question
Posted by: Ray | 2011-02-22

Advise on men''s rights re : maintenance

Please help me understand here.We have a nine month old baby boy {not married} and live separate.Dec 2010 she visited and we took the time to buy the child clothing and all the goodies.Mind you all this time I am supporting my child and we have no problems but guess what :On the 16th Jan she call to say we must separate,and when I asked what is going on she never wanted to come out with the truth.I suspect she had the Dec visit planned sothat I buy the child other necessities and I sure see she had a side affair that I was not aware of.
Look I love my child and wouldn''t love him to grow under such.
If she take any court route what right do I have as a father?I am as of now emotionally broken because I still love my GF.
SHE DOESN''T WANT TO TALK TO ME NOW AND I THINK THERE IS SOME KIND OF A PRESSURE (WITH THE OTHER MAN)
She mentioned a court thing but my worry is WOULD THE COURT ALLOW ME TO ''TAKE CARE OF HIS NECESSITIES''
I don''t want her to have any sort of financial gains as I still have no clarification over her decision for us to separate,
Is she pulling my leg?
Look I have the best interest of my son and I want to know if I have a right of choice as I ''d like myself to sort his necessities.
Another thing : Can the court grant the order in my absentia?
I want to be there,I fail to understand why she has to do this without sitting me to explain why this is happening.Her family are my witness in terms of the things I do for the child,
Now she don''t want to talk to me and I am worried she is seeing those unscrupulous court people.Can I warn my employer of this,
I absolutely feel I am scammed here,
Please advise,I even was to visit him end of Jan,
What rights do I have on the matter?What does courts do if women do this,I am terrorised
Ray

Expert ImageFamily law expert

In terms of the Children's Act you have automatic parental rights and responsibilities over your child. Therefore you will be involved in your child's life and when he is a bit older you will also have sleep over contact. I suggest that you go to your nearest children's court and apply for care and contact so that this can be put into a proper parenting plan so that you know exactly what type of access you have.
Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys
Skype: divorceattorney

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2011-02-24

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Skype: divorceattorney

Reply to family law expert