Posted by: Vlam | 2009-01-28

Advise on Constipation

I have over 9 months lost 34 kg, I always have and lower abdominal pains and constipation. After all this weight loss and eating healthy and excercising, I don' t understand why I still battle with this problem. I drink 2 litre of Fluids which include 2 cups of coffee, rooibos tea and water. Breakfast - Muesli and yoghurt, luch tuna/salmon salad and super chicken/pork/mince with vegetables (hardly any red meat only saturdays) I have to eat dried fruit every night otherwise problem. I' m full of gass which is rather embrassing. I have change my life and still have this problem.

Dear Vlam
Firstly congratulations on losing those 34 kgs - you are a bright shining ***star***. A possible reason for your constipation is that your diet does not contain sufficient dietary fibre (except for the muesli and when you eat dried fruit, which by the way is an excellent way of promoting normal bowel function). In some cases it helps to add 1 teaspoon of wheat bran to your breakfast cereal (buy at health shops). Or use All-Bran for breakfast to also increase your fibre intake. Eat the dried fruit in the morning and boil it to see if this lessens the winds. If the condition persists then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome which may require treatment.
Well done!

Posted by: monica | 2009-01-28

dried peaches???? dried peach roll? try that maybe.

Reply to monica