Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2009/10/06

Advise needed

I have a report that I am very concerned about. The patient has to go back for more tests but is too scared from the report below. I have no idea what it means but is sounds serious and I am scared and confused. Please can you tell me if you can make any sense of the following...

Subtle periosteal reactions are noted at the ankle with some soft tissue swelling noted. This may be related to underlying inflammotory change. If the possibility includes Hypertrophic Osteoarthropathy - this may be secondary to pathology in the lung or GIT. Some underlying degenerative changes are noted. The appearance at the right ankle may be secondary to previous trauma in view of the prominance noted at the medical malleoa. Underlying degenerative changes are noted at the ankle joints and the big toe mp joint.

Just a history, the patient has osteoarthirtis and has had years of issues with joints and operations on bunions and cartlidge etc.

Does this mean cancer?

Thank you, I appreciate your expeertise.

Dear Concerned

MY TRANSLATION IN CAPS!

Subtle periosteal reactions are noted at the ankle with some soft tissue swelling noted. MEANS THE LAYER OF TISSUE OVER THE BONE SHOWS A SLIGHT INFLAMMATION, COMMON WITH OA. This may be related to underlying inflammotory change.

If the possibility includes Hypertrophic Osteoarthropathy (IF THE PATIENT HAS SIGNS OF LUNG OR BOWEL DISEASE IT MAY BE HOA) - this may be secondary to pathology in the lung or GIT. (5% OF THESE PATIENTS HAVE HEREDITARY OSTEOARTHROPATHY or HOA WITH NO REASON - THE REST CAN BE CAUSED BY CANCERS, HEART FAILURE, SMOKING, ASTHMA, CHRONIC LUNGINFECTIONS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS OR BOWEL INFLAMMATION LIKE IN ULCERATIVE COLITIS - SO THIS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT)

Some underlying degenerative changes are noted. (CHANGES DUE TO OLD AGE OR OVERUSE)

The appearance at the right ankle may be secondary to previous trauma in view of the prominance noted at the medical malleoa. (THERE MAY BE SIGNS OF A PREVIOUS FRACTURE OR INJURY OF THE INSIDE KNOB OF THE ANKLE) Underlying degenerative changes are noted at the ankle joints and the big toe mp joint.(CHANGES DUE TO OLD AGE OR OVER USE)

Hope this helps!