Question
Posted by: Kate | 2012/10/08

Advise

Hi CS

I know you''re not a medical doctor but could you perhaps give me some advise on my problem posted to cyberdoc below.

I need to see a doctor in C.T but I canot afford to.
My medical aid has been exhausted from a specialist I''''ve seen last month regarding this issue, he could not find the problem yet he only checked out 1 option. I have to go back to him again and pay 1K per consultation for him to do another check.

My problem, I have arm pain, numbness, tingling and heaviness in the left arm. My left foot, same issue but worse.
The dr. only focused on my left foot and said the the 2 are not connected. Took MRI of the spine and neck and found nothing.
Said I should come back in a month if it persists although I''''ve told him I''''ve had it for the past 6months and its only gotten worse.

I''''m left totally broke after his consultation and cannot afford to see another Nero specialist. II''''ve been told that I''''d have to wait 4months to get an appointment at gov. hospital. I''''m a 28yr old, what can I do?

I am a medical doctor, as a psychiatrist, but not a medical specialist. So medical questions are far better directed to our Pt Cyberdoc.
You could arrange to see a doc at any major state / provincial hispital, or one of CT's excellent medical schools. Especially because in medical issues, a physical exam and tests are usually very important in making a diagnosis and planning treatment.
R 1000 per consultation sounds excessive, especially if he only checked one possibility and guessed that one wrong.
Surely with the symptoms you describe he also checked a brain scan ?
Maybe it'd help sped things up if you went to a medical sschool or state hospital Casualty complaining of all your symptoms, emphasizing that they are getting worse.

1