Posted by: FattyInTheMaking | 2009-08-06

I am not overweight yet but seem to be heading in that direction despite all my efforts to stop it. I used to weigh 52 and was very happy. No dieting or workouts required. This is after having 3 kids.

I began to work out 3 times a week just to tone up and changed from my " bad"  eating ways to a better eating plan. Murphy' s law took over and I am now at 63kgs and rising and nothing I am doing is helping it go back down.

30yrs old - female
Weight 63kgs
Height 160cm
Work out - 3 x cardio, 2 x weights per week (30-45min)
Eating Plan : cut out sugars (cokes), fats (low fat) and bad starches

How can I get my weight back down and stable?

I think you need to trace the problem all the way back to its source. Yes, there is some "inevitabilty" about it because as we get older, our muscle mass declines and it does become more and more difficult to keep weight off. But I think you'll find that overall, you've become less active.

The addition of exercise is great, and you should keep it up. However, there is some very recent evidence that tells us that when people start exercise, they very often also increase the food intake. ANd it's subtle things, very small and not noticeable, but it prevents exercise from having the effect you want it to have. Also, the other thing we do is because we are doing 45 minutes of exercise, we start to save energy during the rest of the day, and that means we actually end up burning less energy overall. So I do believe your problem is likely due to some change in your lifestyle, quite apart from exercise.

In terms of a solution, exercise is good, but you must manage diet along with it. Cutting out sugars and fats is great, but make sure you're eating well, maybe by seeing a dietician. The key is to be healthy, and not necessarily the weight. I'm not sure how much you can lose, because as I said, we do struggle to keep weight down as we get older, but we can be healthy.

So my advice, keep the exercise up, but look at your routines, your lifestyle other than training, and maybe you'll find that you are training more, but cutting down elsewhere. And, possibly, compensating by eating more between.