Posted by: lera | 2009-03-05

i'  ve been staying with my ex 4 four month.the place was on both our names,so our relationship went sour from january so i decided to move we want to terminate the contract they say we cant as we sight for 12 i tried to explain to them that we cant afford it now they said we cant terminate.what must i do cause i dnt have money to pay their rent.whats the legal steps should i follow?pls help

It can indeed be a problem that the owner of the place is probably entitled to insist that you keep to the lease and pay for the whole period ( unless there is some escape clause in the agreement, which is unlikely ). Is it possible to share it, or work out a way to have one of you move out and take a friend in to stay with the other, to help pay that rent ? I can' give legal advice --- there may be a free law clinic atached to your nearest Law School, which may be able to help here