Posted by: Mandy | 2009-06-11

Advice withe regard to situation at Work

Mt daughter works as a receptionist and collects cash as well. Over and above this she is not the only person for a key to her till/cash box. Her admin supervisor also has one and if I' m not mistaken the branch manager too. Last month she was asked to sign a final warning and an IOU for funds that went missing after it was receipted. She was then called in about a week ago where she was told that the mistake was found and the money deducted from her salary was refunded and the warning pulled back. this week she is again being accused of stealing money. She asked the supervisor for the account details when the payments where being made and supervisor told her what invoice numbers must be credited and she was instructed which invoices to credit. The client also paid an amount short of about R600 which the manager agreed that it would be fine to settle the next day. The two now say that the customer paid in full of which my daughter receipted the money received but the supervisor and branch manager say that there is money short. they have now told her that she must do a polygraph test and if it is positive then they will charge her criminally. She says that the supervisors statement differs to what they have discussed etc. Seeing as this is the second time she is being accused and the fact that they also know that she is pregnant I need to know what steps my daughter must follow. Can we get a labour lawyer involved.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

It is suggested that your daughter raise a grievance with regard to the lax security. If in fact 3 people have keys to her till and the cash box, then she cannot be held personally responsible for this. It is suggest that in her grievance she explains that if she is to hold the only set of keys, then she will take full responsibility for the missing cash. If not, then they cannot point fingers at her. You can get a labour lawyer involved.

Thx for the advise. Will do.