Question
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/10/27

Advice urgently needed pls!

Hallo everyone.

I am new to this site and was hoping someone could help me.

To make a long story short. I accidentally got pregnant 4 years ago, but unfortunately had a miscarriage. I have not been for a pap smear since. Had one last week and they discovered that I have stage 3 pre-cancer cells. I have been told that these have to be removed as soon as possible. The Dr told me that she would have to only remove the top layer of cells and all should be fine.

My question is this. How accurate are the smear results? Could they say it is phase 3 pre cancer cells, but it has in fact gone further. We don' t have any children but we really want to have a baby. Has anyone had this procedure done, was it successful and have you been able to have kids. This is really concerning for me. I feel like my life is over.

Dear Visitor

A pap smear is reasonably accurate however, as it is only a screening test one can either have lesion that is not bad as that or even have a lesion that may in fact be a little bit worse. I am assuming that your doctor is going to do a cone biopsy, which can be both, diagnostic and therapeutic. By doing a cone biopsy one preserves fertility potential and this usually will not affect your chances of having a baby.

Answered by: Dr. Y. M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/10/27

Hi Maxi.

Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry about the babies you have lost. I myself have had two miscarriages. Gosh I do hope you can hold your very own little bundle of joy soon.

Thank you again for your reply.

x

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Maxi | 2008/10/27

I had a similar result after a pap smear but I was in stage 2. The " front section"  of my cervix was removed. You don' t even need to stay over in hospital. I was 31 at the time.

I am 39 now and have fallen pregnant twice during the last 2 years but unfortunately lost both pregnancies. I have been to see a fertility specialist (due to my age) and they are not concerned about the operation I had, or that it could have any effect on my fertility.
Have the operation done sooner than later, so that the healing can begin and you will be able to start earlier, to try to conceive (TTC).

Good luck!

Reply to Maxi