Question
Posted by: T | 2010-05-19

advice required

Dear Doc

i am 29 years old and have a university degree but have absolutly no idea what i want to do with my life. i was wondering whether you would recommend psychometric testing (as i have read some varied opinions on the effectivness of it) and if so who (in Cape Town) and of not what do i do to alleviate feeling so helpless, lost and out of control.

thank you for your time.

T

I can't keep track of individual shrinks and what they do or where. Psychologists experienced in proper vocational advice, can do a range of testing that checks both your strengths and weaknesses, and your interests ( and disinterests ) which can be very helpful in pointing towards areas where you could be successful and happy. The method is definitely useful - obviously some of the shrinks are better at it than others.
Also, check the availability of CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and the Sadag number on this page and their website can help find such a therapist - it is excellent for enhancing self-esteem and gaining a sense of control - it's a method that puts you in control both of solving specific problems, but also learning how to do this in future with whatever else might turn out to be problematic

1