Posted by: Tanya Bussio | 2009-01-12

advice regarding rehab centre for stroke

good morning cyberdoc, i urgently need your advice...

my 57-yr old mother had a stroke about a week ago and is now bedridden at a local government hospital, we need to transfer her to a rehab centre for rehab/physio care. we have been given the names of booth memorial hospital aswell as the conradie care centre in cape town. we are not sure where to send her as we recently spoke to a nurse that had negative feedback about the booth memorial hospital.

what to do? we are in a predicament and need to send her for the care ASAP to try and avoid permanent damage.

please help and thank you in advance!

Dear Tanya
As far as I know the Conradie hospital closed down?
I don't know these units, so can't give you any feedback on their services. Maybe one of the other readers may have feedback to share with us?

Posted by: Tanya Bussio | 2009-01-22

Dear Chrissy M and Sharon, thanks for your advice, kindly appreciated, my mom has since passed away, i didn' t realise that her condition was that bad.... so now no advice can make me feel whole again.

Reply to Tanya Bussio
Posted by: Sharon | 2009-01-12

Hi Tanya

Ask your GP or your mothers GP for advice. They will be able to refer you to the best places.

Hope she recover soon, and yes it is possible.

Reply to Sharon
Posted by: Tanya Bussio | 2009-01-12

Thanks for the advice Chrissy, but unfortunately I have a fulltime job and a 7yr old daughter and can' t cope having to look after my mom fulltime aswell, so my only way out is a rehab centre.

Thanks again!

Reply to Tanya Bussio
Posted by: Chrissy M | 2009-01-12

Hi Tanya,

Firstly i would like to say sorry for hearing about your mom having a stroke and i fully understand how you feel.

Tanya my dad had a stroke 1 year ago and he was completely paralysed on the left side, he could not eat,walk,talk or do anything himself. He was also in a state hospital and we were told that he would never make it to be the same person he is and that we should put him in a rehab. My mom and i refused and we took him home and helped him along. It was very difficult as he was confined to a wheel chair and we had to do everything for him. But a year later he is 90% recovered and making good progress. So i say if you can rather help your mom yourself because in the old end you will see an improvement but if you send her to rehab believe you me it won' t work.

I hope this will work and if you need anymore advice or help i will be there to support you.

Reply to Chrissy M