Posted by: Natalie Johnson | 2010-03-12

Advice re low GI Carbs - what to carry in handbag?

I am a Type 2 Diabetic taking Insulin twice per day (morning and evening). My exercise routine (evenings) with my Personal Traininer has increased i.e. more strenuous which means that my liver is excreating more glucose - giving my muscles more than they need. This is causing my blood sugar to be higher after exercising than before exercising.

I make sure I have a snack before exercising (a low fat yoghurt 100g) which apparently is not enough for the level of exercise I am doing. I have been advised by two Personal Trainers to add a carb in addition to having the yoghurt to give my body enough fuel to cope with the exercise.

Because I work full time, I don''t have much time to prepare anything. Fresh fruit is limited because of budget and not always being able to get access to decent edible fruit. Because I''m trying to lose weight, I have to limit my wheat intake (I have a sandwich for lunch so I''m trying to exclude any further bread/wheat options for my 3pm snack). Being diabetic, fruit juice is discouraged (even diluted - it sits in my system too long thereby raising my sugar levels).

My question is: what are my options in terms of Lo GI carbs that is easily transportable i.e. something I can have in addition to my youghurt which I can just throw into my handbag and not have to stand and prepare beforehand?

Natalie Johnson

You can prepare wholegrain pasta, as well as two portions of broccoli. To make the pasta more tasty, you can add tuna or chicken breasts without the skin. Unfortunately, these will have to be prepared the previous day but it will give you a lot of energy, as the wholegrain pasta is low GI and will not let cause your sugar to rise abruptly. I am not aware of any low GI snacks that will provide sufficient energy. You can however, try the new Kellogs Special K bars.

Posted by: Colleen | 2010-03-13

I have recently been diagnosed as being prediabetic. My cholestrol has also elevated since my last test. I also have an under active thyroid, for which I take two eltroxin per day.
I was previously on medication for high cholestrol but found it gave me such cramps that I stopped taking it.
Being prediabetic is a new diagnosis and my dr has prescribed 2 Glucophage per day. I am an active member of Weighless &  have lost 13kgs. Is this enough, I am in a very stressful job which doesn''t help matter. I''m looking for information as to how I manage this and what the dangers are.

Reply to Colleen