Question
Posted by: Andrea | 2012/05/17

advice pls

I am a 38 year old female. I have 3 children. Two teens - and a toddler of 13 months. All of these were conceived in the 1st month/2months of trying.

I breastfeed the toddler 2 a day still. He drinks very little though and ggets most of his nutrtition from solids.

We are trying to conceive.

My periods returned at 9mnths after toddlers birth. The first cycle was 6 weeks, then 5 weeks, then 34 days, then 30 days and now 28 days this cycle.

I bought an ovulation test kit this month to see when I was ovulating bit didn''t during the 3 days I predicted accorind to my cycle. I did however have ovulation cramps 2 days later.
Also, I''ve been having ovulation cramps during the last 3 cycles
.
My questions are:
1. I this a normal ''return of periods''? The long cycle settling back into 28 days?
2. Could I be having periods and not ovulating at all? Or ovulating irregularly?
3. As I am now settling into 28 days, could my fertility be returning?
4. Do you have any advice on aiding conception taking the above into account?

Dear Andrea

The answer to your first question: Yes, my impression is that your periods are now eventually returning to normal,
Second question: That is also possible that you may be getting periods especially if they are a little irregular and you may not be ovulating, the best is to do a day-21 Progesterone level and if that is high then you are ovulating. While your period is returning to normal the possibility exists that you may be ovulating one month and not the other. Because you periods are now settling down then you return to fertility is probably now settling down and certainly the ability to fall pregnant starts increasing. The answer to your fourth question is that I suggest that you stop breastfeeding completely and use tablets that can be given to you by your gynaecologist to dry up the milk and that usually will return your fertility and ovulation back to normal much faster.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/05/24

Dear Andrea

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert