advice pls

i had my baby 6 months ago and i need to get into shape. baby is less needy so i have gaps in the day (short gaps) when i could perhaps exercise. i am breastfeeding so running is out of the question and it needs to be something i can do at home as i cannot leave the baby and frankly i hate gym. what simple exercises can i do in my own living room? i have no injuries so anything will do. target areas...everywhere.

Hi anonymous

It's a difficult one, given your constraints. Given that you have to train from home, you will need to make some sort of purchase, whether it be an exercise bike, some gym equipment, something, because you can't really train from home without these things.

In terms of what that that programme should look like, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. I know you've said specifically that you don't want running, but there's no reason why you can't do some of it, or at least start with walking. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

i should add that i had a c-section so im a little scared of exerting myself in the area around the scar.