Posted by: Dená  | 2009-09-09

Advice please Doc

I also want to try the high-protein diet, I am on medication for Hypertension, it is not a very strong dose Vectory/Plus 1,25mg. Is the dieet a bad idea or can I try it I got about 20kg to loose. Or is there something else I can use, age 37.

Dear Dena
If you suffer from hypertension or high blood pressure then you should not use the high-protein diet. Please click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower blood pressure. This diet is low in fat and sodium which will respectively assist with weightloss and lower bp. Ask the dr who is treating your hypertension if you are allowed to exercise (for example going for brisk walks in the fresh air) and if he/she gives permission then try and go for a walk every day increasing how far and fast you walk as you lose weight and get fitter.