Posted by: Paige | 2009-03-12

Advice please doc

Hi doc

Do you perform tubal ligation reversals at your clinic? I am 38 and my husband is 45. How successful are reversals? I have 2 children aged 14 and 12 and fell pregnant straight away with both, and would love another baby. What does it cost approx. Would i have to stay overnight after the op? Than you soo much!!

Dear Paige

The success of tubal reversal depends entirely on the technique, which was used to do the sterilisation procedure in the first place. In cases where a substantial potion of the tube has been excised, the success may be markedly reduced where as procedures using clips are much easier to reverse and will give you a success of approximately 60 – 70% if done correctly. However, there is also an increased risk of an ectopic pregnancy occurring following any form of tubal repair and this should be weighed against the alternative, which is in-vitro fertilization. The cost of reversal varies from centre to centre but is probably in the region of R20 000 – R30 000 including clinic costs. Although the procedure might be feasible through a laparoscope, the expertise in this area is limited and most surgeons at this stage would prefer to it through a small abdominal laparotomy (bikini cut operation). In the latter case, hospitalisation may require 3 – 4 days and postoperative recovery may take anything up to 4weeks. All these costs, including the cost of being non-productive for a period should be weighed against the easier alternative which is invitro–fertilisation.