Question
Posted by: Retha | 2011-03-16

Advice please!

Hi.. I have 3 questions...
1. My daschound has a back problem, wich could lead to paralysis.. my vet has prescribed meds and cage rest and hopefully this will help, but is there anything else I can do? We try to keep him still and enclosed to ensure recovery.
2. My labrador seems to be scratching all the time! We use ectodex dip for skin problems and fleas, I changed his diet as well, we brush him regularly and give him some meds for alergic reactions... any other ideas on what to do?
3. Ostrich dog food... is this any good? Will it help my labrador as I have read that it might help for pets with sensitive skin.

Hi Retha
1. Except for the strict rest and anti-inflammatory medication, your dachshund will also benefit from physiotherapy or acupuncture, same as a human with a back problem. It is very important to also try to prevent any jumping on to furniture (rather pick him up) and climbing up and down stairs. If his back problem does not resolve or worsen, the next step would be an MRI scan to determine where the problem is and surgery if indicated
2. It sounds like your dog has a skin allergy, a very common problem that some breeds, including Labradors are prone to. There are numerous things that can cause skin allergies. The most important to exclude is fleas, thus make sure all you pets are treated monthly for fleas with a good flea product. I would recommend a spot on product as it is just easier and safer than a dip. Second on the list is a food allergy. These can unfortunately be tricky to diagnose and treat but I would start by stop giving any ‘table food’ especially food with lots of preservatives and containing dairy products. He might also be allergic to a certain protein eg chicken/fish. There are special food ranges for this kind of food allergy but first discuss this with your vet (see answer 3) Unfortunately he might be allergic to numerous things in the environment as well, that one cannot eliminate but only try to manage: bathing with a good quality shampoo for sensitive skins, adding omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to his meals and medication for skin allergies.
3. Ostrich dog food can be beneficial to a dog with a specific protein allergy eg chicken/fish but unfortunately dogs can also be allergic to ostrich proteins and it also depends on the quality of the food, so again, discuss this with your vet before changing his food.

4
Posted by: Retha | 2011-03-17

Thanks for all the advice... I will definitively pay attention to it. And by the way, you guys and ladies responds a lot faster than the " docters"  does!

Reply to Retha
Posted by: Chill | 2011-03-16

I would meticulously follow the vet''s advice with respect to the dachshund - this is something which I''m sure you agree can''t be messed around with.

The itchy lab is another story - he may have an allergy of some sort, and this could be to fleas (and even ONE flea could trigger this), or to something he''s eating, or to something in his environment - grass, for example. Quite often tracing the source takes a bit of detective work - the solution may well be to change his diet. There are so many variables that what works like a dream in one case may have no effect at all in another.

In the meantime you could try a product like Efazol (get it at the vet''s), which some people recommend highly to boost overall skin health.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: anon | 2011-03-16

I have a JRT with allergies and a sensitive skin. He is on Ultra dog ostridge and it helped alot. And he is not on any meds at all.
He is more lively than ever, coat is shinny and soft. I can not complain about it and by the way my babies are eating it, there is nothing wrong with it. Give it a try, you have got nothing to loose.

Reply to anon
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-03-16

Hi Retha

Reply to CyberVet