Question
Posted by: SJ | 2009-09-09

advice please

hi

I generally eat healthy, but a few weeks ago i quit smoking. please dont misunderstand that as i have not increased my food intake, but i do feel as though i am picking up weight (my tummy seems to be sticking out more, i thinkmaybe i am bloated?? i hope so anyway)

Anyway in light of this i went and bought some herbex slimmers pills.

on average i eat:

Breakfast (05:30) - 2 weetbix with 2% fat milk and 1 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of coffee with cremora lite and sweetner
1 cup of tea with fat free milk and sweetner
Lunch (12:00): Salad with a protein or a tortilla Wrap with veggies and a protein, with salad and beetroot on the side (usually my protiens are feta cheese (very small amount), 4 bean mix, bean sprouts, tuna fish or minute steak with all visible fat removed)
1 cup tea with fat free milk and sweetner
Dinner (20:00) : a carb, a protein and veggies

in addition to this i also drink at least 2 litres of water. i also started to do 1 hour of kickboxing everyday

my problem is that when i get home from work i am ravenous and usually end up scoffing all the stuff i promised myself i wouldnt touch!

Whats the problem? am i eating to little?

my other question is will you get fit by just doing cardio work?

Dear SJ
Congratulations on stopping smoking, your health will improve greatly. It is possible that you may gain a bit of weight because when you stop smoking your body metabolism works more efficiently. However, if you continue with your diet and do your kickboxing for an hour a day this weight will disappear again. The fact that you are so ravenous is also due to stopping smoking because smoking does tend to suppress the appetite. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and do a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming diet-related problems. You will certainly get very fit if you do cardio workouts every day.
Hang in there you will soon be back to normal and so much healthier.