Posted by: Emma | 2009-09-01

Advice please.

Hi Everyone,

I can' t see the positive side of life today. It is spring and I am feeling all gloomy and sad. I just hate everthing about my life. I have tried to make changes, have not been able to find a new job. I know I am blessed even to have a job, but it gets me down having to sit here for 8 or 9 hours a day for a minimum salary .

I had to give up my hobby as it is too expensive to keep up. I have joined a new church, but that only gets me out among people on Sundays.

I live alone and I have no one older and wiser to guide me through what is left of this life of mine.

As I am typing here, I am crying like a baby, luckily I have an office to myself. How do I get myself out of this depression?

How I long for the days when I was just a wife, mother and housewife. Now I am a divorced, working woman and the children have long gone to lead their own lives.

I am of no use to anybody, leased of all to myself.

Some people do feel their gloom more, come Spring --- the contrast between the climate outside and the climate inside is greater. Find a new and more affordable hoby or hobbies. Get involved in voluntary woprk, which is rewarding in itself, enables you to meet some nice people, keeps you useflly occupied, and helps gets one's problems into perspective.
Part of what you seem to be describing would be the Empty Nest Syndrome. It's so good and important to be a wife and a mother, but one needs to always recognize that you were and are also so much more than that --- you don't stop being valuable and significant in your own right when you lose a partner, or when the children are no longer so directly needy. But volunteer work can be a useful bidging substitute for some of this.

Posted by: DiDi | 2009-09-01

Emma. I' m sorry to hear you not feeling so good.
So you' re not a wife, mother and housewife. Neither am I anymore, also divorced, also have to work and also need to make more money than with the job I currently have.

Some days I feel exactly the same way. I have been ' forced'  to find other ways to keep me sane, that don' t cost so much money and I have found that often the simplest things are the best. My personal lifesavers have been yoga, meditation and pilates. You sometimes get them in Shape Magazine so you don' t have to spend so much money on a book / gym class. You can do it in your own home. In your own time. It just helps to relax the mind, soothe the soul and pilates is excellent for core strength which makes you stronger, with better posture which relfects in your rising confidence levels.

I think your forgot somewhere that you are actually an empowered and powerful indivudual and we all have a purpose. Take some silent time to reflect inside and try find what you need to know.

Sounds all new-agey, I know. But hey, it worked for me.
And I hope you remember the goddess you are, and find what you need. (just look, it' ll come to you).

All the best!

Reply to DiDi