Posted by: lucy | 2009-03-05

advice please

hi, my daughter is 8 weeks pregnant and seems to have regular spotting (brownish), is this normal, the times she has been back to the doc, he says everything is fine, and I know she does not want to keep running up and down to the doc and looking paranoid. Could this mean she may develop problems in her pregnancy. Maybe I should add here that she is still in her teens.

Dear Lucy

It is not normal to have regular spotting however, it can be present in certain individuals. As long as the doctor say that every thing is fine, the foetus is growing well and there is a good fetal heart then the chances are high that this spotting may stop spontaneously. This does not necessarily mean that problems will develop in her pregnancy. If the spotting becomes more bright red or there is increased amount of bleeding then I suggest you see your gynaecologist immediately.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo