Posted by: John | 2009-01-16

Advice Please

My partner is an alcoholic, has been to rehab and was sober for approx 5 months and then relapsed. I don'  t have a problem with drinking, although I do enjoy to drink occasionally. On a recent occasion I drank too much, and this triggered her to start drinking again. How do I support her? Will my drinking behavior affect her? What is required of me to be supportive and help her get through this?

She should be attending AA, and shouldn't use your drinking as an excuse for her to drink. It'd be easier for her to remain sober if you did. Check if there's a local branch of Al-Anon, which helps families of alcoholics to help them and themselves.

Posted by: Minty | 2009-01-16

John, I think that she needs your support very much if she is going to stay dry. It does not help if you are trying to give up drinking and everybody around you is drinking. You must give up drinking as well. Contact AA for guidance and assistance.

Reply to Minty