Question
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/12

advice on sexual and hygiene education for girls

Dear Sexologist,

Where would I be able to find some material to make above education interesting, fun and less embarrassing for the girls? How would you teach a girl the basics? Are they too young at 12-14 to understand certain things? What would be a taboo to discuss with girls as an outsider?

Thank you in advance!

Dear Woman,

The extent of the question you are asking is way beyond the scope of this forum.

I would suggest you download the source:
Filling the Gaps: Hard to Teach Topics in Sexuality Education on the SIECUS website. It covers all the questions you raised.

10
Posted by: Tiffy | 2011/05/12

I am disgusted at the stupidity of some of the responses to Woman''s query, which today is very relevant. Clearly many of the responses indicate people are ignorant of what goes on in the world and are throwin g stones at someone who is prepared to take a step out of their comfort zone and assist other peoples children. Shame on you!!
Woman, keep it up. Many parents especially ones who have not had basic education and/or nurturing parents themselves, leave their kids to the mercies of others. The kids are luck that you have honourable intentions. Good luck with your endeavour.

Reply to Tiffy
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/12

Thank you so much for the advice, Angel! I will go visit and see what I can find out from them. What a fabulous idea!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: angel | 2011/05/12

You can go to any state clinic, espcialy in the family planning department and speak to a doctor or a nurse there. My mom works at the on in Pretoria and educate women and young girls on a daily basis about hygene, std''s ect.

Reply to angel
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/12

QO, Thank you for your input. I agree that raising a child is a parent''s responsibility. But that doesn''t mean you stand on a soap box declaring what bad parents are out there. It means getting your hands dirty and helping those that can be helped. In any way you can. And if that means you teach girls to wash their hands after tehy''ve been to the loo, you do that too. Do you understand what I''m saying?

I get what you''re saying and there is in fact permission from parents. We are talking of groups of girls who do NOT have a loving mother or a comfortable or able mother at home. Children are not an individual''s responsibility. We are all responsible for our children. It stands to everyone''s advantage, don''t you agree? That is the spirit of Ubuntu..

Personally, I wouldn''t get the welfare involved in a simple teaching matter for which there are plans and permissions in place. All I want is the best place to get knowledge, information and hand-out to give the girls. Do you understand better now?

Reply to Woman
Posted by: QQ | 2011/05/12

Regardless how " bad"  the mother is in your eyes, it IS HER RESPONSIBILITY.
If you feel the need to speak to these kids, get the mother''s permission FIRST or the father or the grandmother for that matter.
If you think the mother is NOT CAPABLE of raising her kids, then get the Welfare involved and APLY TO FOSTER THESE KIDS. This is not your responsibility and be carefull of interfering, it may be perceived as harassment if unasked for.

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/12

Raw Randy, you sound like you''re abusing. not helping. That sentence had nothing helpful in it. You have nothing to say, so you say it as loud as you can, obviously.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Raw Randy | 2011/05/12

to , we trying to help you here , u ole bitch

Reply to Raw Randy
Posted by: Woman | 2011/05/12

Yes QO, that''s why the girls use used pads to draw on the bathroom walls. Girls who get constant bladder infections because they never learnt to wipe front to back. girls who fall pregnant because they didn''t know they were having sex. Do you call those parents responsible? Not all mothers care enough or know enough to raise their girls with basic knowledge.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: QQ | 2011/05/12

An outsider should not discuss any of this with girls of this age. It is the mother''s responsibility

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Sexologist | 2011/05/12

Dear Woman,

Reply to Sexologist