Posted by: 19 | 2008-11-01

Advice on rregular periods +contraceptiv

I' m a 19yr old girl and I' ve been having irregular periods, like sometimes only in 40+ days time. I also suffer from horrible pains when they do come. Should I be worried? What causes my periods to be irregular?

I' ve been with my boyfriend for two years now and we' re thinking of having sex but I want to go on the pill first. Do I have to go see a doctor first or can I get contraceptives without a prescription? And if I don' t need one, what do I choose that has the least side-effects?

Lastly at what age should a girl see a gyne? My mom says only when i' m in my 30ties or if I have a problem.

Please can someone answer my questions!!

The irregular periods are probably because you are not ovulating. There are many reasons for this. If you only started menstruating in the past 2-3 years, it may take a while for the cycle to settle down. As you do have a problem - irregular periods- it is best to see a gynaecologist and not just start the Pill on your own.

im irregular with my periods i have 2 a month really heavy and clotting quite bad, i take the pill but sometimes forget for 2 days at the most. i have never been so bad i had my ovaries checked when my youngest was about 6 months and they were fine. could it just be because im forgetful taking the pill at times and my body dont know when to bleed?

Posted by: be | 2009-04-07

hi i had a ceasarian 7years back and had no problems till 2 months ago just below the cut i found a lump but is mostly small untill i start my period and then gets bigger and tender what can this be

Reply to be
Posted by: betty | 2009-04-07

my period start normal and on time but some times it gos for 8,9,10 days why is that

Reply to betty
Posted by: mel | 2008-11-05

just tell yr mom that you are concerned about yr irregular periods and need to see a dr or gyne about it as its not normal to have irregular periods anyway so i' m sure she will take u for that reason.

Reply to mel
Posted by: 19 | 2008-11-02

Thanks Mel.

But Mmmm I don' t really have a regular gp...
How do I convince my mom to take me me to see one (gp/ gyne) without really telling her I' m sexually active?

Reply to 19
Posted by: mel | 2008-11-01

a lady can start going to a gyne as young as 16yrs or as soon as they become sexually active. there are many diff types of pills a had to try 4 diff types before founding the right one for me. the pill will also help with your irregular periods as well as the pain. i would rather go see a doctor, yr normally gp and they can advise the right pill for you as there are so many out there.once you sexually active you must go for paps smears once a year with your gyne.
hope all works out for you

Reply to mel