Question
Posted by: Abi | 2009/11/05

Advice on my menu

Hi doc

I wonder if I you can help me. I' d like to give you a breakdown on my daily intake on an average day and could you please guide me as to where to improve on this.

Breakfast
1 Nutrific with low fat milk and 2 sugars

Tea time
About half a cup of fruit and a tbsp of low fat/fat free yoghurt

Lunch time
2 slices Toast and peanut butter OR a chicken pasta salad with green salad added OR 2 slices toast with shaved chicken, slice of cheese and lettuce, tomato, etc.

Supper
Chicken salad (chicken breasts with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, a crumble of feta and a bit of avo) OR a chicken vegetable stew with rice and a green salad. AND half a glass of juice.

2L of water throughout the day.

I am trying to keep to decent portions as I have been to a dietician so know what my portion size should be. Previously I drank ALOT of fizzy cooldrink like coke. Maybe 1L a day and now i have none! Snacked alot. BUt now I am being really good i think.

I weigh 118.8kgs now. 1.65m tall. I am also on Duromine just to give me that kick start to help with my appetite, but i dont seem to be losing weight as fast as I thought I would.

I have lost 6.5kgs on 1.5 months supply of duromine. With the changes I made to my diet I feel I should be dropping weight faster. I have checked my thyroid. It used to be overactive and i weighed 92kgs at one stage. Then i fell pregnant, my thyroid stabilised. After pregnancy i weighed 95kgs again. THEN i just rapidly put on 30kgs since December 2008. I was on 125kgs 2 months ago.

I do know i need to exercise, but with a now 1yr old, my husband works late, I dont have the time. I am aiming to start exercising at least 2 or 3 times a week for about half an hour from next week.

Any advice or suggestions you can give me would be appreciated.

Dear Abi
Your diet suggestions seem reasonable. I would just add another 2 servings of fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese to you daily intake to ensure that you obtain the 1300 mg of calcium a day that women require. I think your weightloss is excellent seeing that you are losing about 1 kg per week. Do not make the mistake of wanting to speed things up, because slower but steady weightloss will prevent regain later on. Your present BMI = 43,8 which is very high and any weightloss will already have a positive effect on your health. Try taking your baby for a walk every day for 30 min if possible because doing exercise not only improves weightloss by stimulating your metabolism, but also improves adherence to your diet and motivation to persevere. As you lose weight and become more mobile and fitter you can switch over the a most intensive exercise such as skipping which you can do at any time and anywhere.
Wishing you all the best

1

Dear Abi
Wishing you all the best