Question
Posted by: Liza | 2012/06/26

Advice on Memory foam (Long)

CS - I know this is long and off-topic, so you don''t need to read this if you don''t want to. A generic response would be fine. I just need to get this off my chest.

I found an article under Property24, about the pros and cons of memory foam. (Strange place for it to be - would expect it to be under health24) Since I''ve been a fan of memory foam for the past 10 years, I felt uniquely qualified to give advice under the comments section. Unfortunately the moderators didn''t agree with my advice and deleted my comment. I''m wondering whether the article was paid-for by a brand-name memory foam supplier since they warn at the end not to fall for cheap bad quality imitations. Deleting my comment really made me mad because I felt I gave excellent advice.

My deleted advice was to never buy a mattress with a memory foam layer. The memory foam doesn''t last very long and then you have to replace the whole mattress. Rather buy a memory foam mattress pad to put on top of your normal mattress. As for buying one of the brand-name mattress pads, it''s much better value for money to go to your nearest raw foam supplier and buy the raw memory foam and then cover it yourself (a duvet cover works quite well). The difference in price is staggering. A 5cm thick brand name mattress pad costs twice as much as 10cm thick raw foam (and that''s when use the social buying discounts the brand names offer). I know exactly how much it costs - I recently got a quote from a raw foam supplier because it''s time I replaced my own mattress pad. I also went on to say that the quality you get from the raw foam supplier is excellent - since it''s sourced from South African manufacturers and isn''t cheap chinese low density imports.

Sheesh. They''re censoring people because the advice is increasing and decreasing the wrong bottom-lines. Well I hope that putting my advice here will help at least 1 other person. To me the invention of memory foam is the most important NASA event ever.(And that includes that landing on the moon event). It''s like sleeping on the most perfect cloud. I adore the stuff  -)

Liza

Pleased someone else had relevant experience here, as I have no experience whatever with "memory foam" and have never understood the concept or the claims made for it. But if both you and Maria find it worthwhile, I'll need to think about it.
Nor do I understand why Property24 would be promoting it - is it so darn expensive you need to take out a bond to buy some ?
And I wonder why the "moderators" would delete ANY comment if not libellous or otherwise legally problematic. That sounds more like censorship than moderation. And lousy journalistic ethics to protect an advertiser in such a way.
Infomercials should ALWAYS be very clearly labelled and identified as such, and should not provide a facility for comments unless such facility is uncensored.

4
Posted by: ICE | 2012/07/05

Hi Liza,

I''ve always thought memory foam mattress toppers are overpriced.

Can you give more advice on what to ask the foam manufacturers to quote on?
Do they call it " memory foam"  or something else, e.g. a generic name that refers to it''s chemical content (poly- something or the other most likely) or their own " brand"  name?
Do you ask for e.g. a Double bed size, or is it better to give dimensions, e.g. 190 x 190 x 10 cm?
I supposed it''s too much to ask whether you can recommend a raw foam supplier near Pretoria? :-)

Reply to ICE

Posted by: Maria | 2012/06/26

Thanks Liza. I read that article and thought to myself that they really don''t seem to be presenting a balanced viewpoint. I agree with you, some supplier probably paid for it - an infomercial.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2012/06/26

PS. My current raw foam mattress pad lasted 10 years - longer than the 5 - 8 year lifespan they predict for brand-name mattresses - lol.

Reply to Liza