Posted by: Anon | 2012-02-08

Advice needed - trust in therapy

I would like to know what am I supposed to do now?
I have been left stranded in the middle of nowhere. I was forced to jump out of a moving car or risk being injured. If I stayed in the car and listened to the " driver,"  I could''ve died and everyone would say I was stupid to have listened to him. I trusted him but I knew something bad would happen if I didnt jump. Lucky for me I chose to jump because the car ended up hitting a wall. Even worse - it turned out the " driver"  I put my faith and trust in was not real but a " test dummy."  The real experienced driver tricked me into believing the dummy was in control. My gut instinct warned me but I wanted to believe the real driver I learnt to trust. I am glad I am alive but I am sad that I lost the trust I had in the real driver. I never thought he would go so far. But, the saddest thing of all is that the driver was angry at me! He thought I would take control of the car. I almost lost my life but according to him it is my fault. Just because he is experienced does not mean the method of wanting to teach me a lesson was correct. I am not a dummy but someone with feelings. He now wants me to get back into another car and trust him but how can I when I have become scared of this man? To him I was just another experiment but I lost something very important - trust in someone I liked. He was the " relationship"  I wanted to have with others (my family/friends/colleagues) but like all of them the " friendship"  was fake. Am I so desperate in wanting someone to like me and treat me with respect that I will go back to be used and made fun of over and over again.....yes, it seems so. What do you think Proffessor? I dont want to stop therapy but I cant do it with someone else as dont want to start from scratch. I have huge trust issue. I am angry because i have worked way too hard to be left gobsmacked. Can one regain trust?

Sorry, but I really don't understand this mesage at all ; sounds like a spoof or the plot of a bad TV episode. A car driven by a test dummy, and you volutarily chose to get in and ride with it ? I don't care how much I might trust someone, I can't imagine doing that. Why on earth would you remin anywhere near such a bizarre and irresponsible person ? Sounds like Svengali ; like he recognized how vulnerable and needy you were, and exploited you. That's nowhere near love. Tell him to stick to his test dummies, and have NOTHING more to do with him.
What I also don't understand at all, is you headline this "trust in therapy". If this loony you describe is pretending to be a therapist, he is sicker than anyone he might pretend to "treat" in thisway, and a total quack. Report him to the Health Professions Council, if indeed he is any sort ofhealth professional, or even if not so, if he is pretending to be one.