Question

Advice Needed

Hi DietDoc

I' m currently suffering from anorexia and in therapy but I' m wondering if perhaps seeing a dietician isn' t such a bad idea. The only thing is that anorexia is a tricky disease but I' m really unsure of which way to turn now. I have good days and bad and when I start eating " normally"  it doesn' t last very long.

I just stopped eating during the day and before I realised it, I was in the red. I would eat once a day but when I started trying to eat small meals during the day I noticed that I was actually loosing more weight. The only thing is that my appetite increased and then I got scared and turned to not eating again. I think I need advice because I seem to have lost any sense about what I' m supposed to eat and when. I' m also afraid of losing control and going the other way so perhaps I need to consult a dietician.

How would you deal with this? I know I need to stay in therapy to deal with the emotional side of this disease but do you think a dietician can help me? I' m not doing so well at the moment.

Dear Anon
I am worried about you because it is evident that you cannot handle the burden of trying to cure your anorexia on your own. Most eating diseases need a team approach and the team should include both a psychologist who helps you to sort out the emotional side of the disease and a dietitian who will guide you back to eating normally again. Please contact a dietitian ASAP (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will help you start eating again without gaining masses of weight.
Holding thumbs for you that you can beat this dreaded disease.

1
Posted by: TD | 2008/10/02

well done for starting therapy!!
I hope you get well soon... i also had ana many years ago but i' d like to ask you 
how do you NOT eat? how do you put yourself off food or eating yummy things? Do you or did you take any diet pills to take away your appetite?
i' m just trying to understand how you do it...
but i truly wish you well!!
i think everyday' s a struggle. just take baby steps at a time.

Reply to TD