Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2009-08-12

Advice from animal lovers pls!!

I have a huge problem with a stray cat in our area. I have two male cats. Both were fixed at a early age. I don' t keep them closed because they refuse to use the litterbox and rather do their business where they should do it so they have the freedom to go outside whenever they want then I never have a problem cleaning up after them.
My problem is that there is a stray ginger male cat who comes into the house and pees on our stuff. My cats are scared of him since they were attacked a few times so they hide whenever he comes in. He used to pee agains the curtains which I was able to wash but now I' m just fed up because he moved to our kitchen and pees around my cats'  food area and I' ll have to replace my microwave if I' m not able to clean it. I' ll have to open the whole machine. My kettle also gets peed on and this morning the fruit bowl on the table.
We love cats, but at this point my husband want to kill the stray with a golfclub. We managed to catch him once before to scare him but it only lasted for about a week then he came back.
Does anyone have advice for me?
I' m thinking of catching him in a cage and take him to the SPCA, but I know whats going to happen to him there. What can I do??

Dear Jenn

Catch him and have him neutered first. This will be a good investment.

5

When we were kids a cat used to pee against our front door at night. You can imagine the smell when we used to open the door next morning. Then my mom sprinkeled Cayenne pepper all over the stoep + especially by the door. That solved the problem. Recently a cat started coming into our wendy house, would scratch all the ash from my weber a the pee all over the wendy house. Well a couple of packets of Cayenne pepper fixed that. Now he pees against the r.h. front tyre of my car. From last night each tyre has a sprinkling of Cayenne around it. Hopefully he' ll get the message + bugger off.

I know how you feel! Perhaps take it to the SPCA/Vet and have it neutered - sure it will cost you but it will cost less than a new microwave and your sanity. We have a problem in our multicat household where the newest cat (he just moved in last year) keeps coming and peeing on everything (oven/coffee machine/fridge - you name it, it was peed on!) so we keep a spray bottle fill of water and just spray him everytime until he goes out the window (usually sopping wet!) - it might not solve the problem completely but it may be a deterrent.

We had the same problem many years ago. This cat used to climb up the curtains as well and eventually started to tear them. My dad cought the cat, chucked it in the pool and let the dog out, so everytime the cat tried to climb out the pool - the dog was waiting!! The cat never ever returned.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-08-13

I have caught 3 strays , a 4th is now hanging around , two of them moved in , the third went home and that was the end of the piddling.

The two ex strays BTW have made lovely housecats :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Steph | 2009-08-12

We once had a neighbour who had a big ginger cat, Oubaas was his name. He repeatedly peed in our house and harrassed my cat. I asked the neighbours to neuter him, to no avail. So one day I borrowed a cat trap from the PDSA, caught the cat, took him in to the PDSA in the morning where they neutered him and he was home the same night. his owners were none the wiser, and we had no more pees in our house after that !

Reply to Steph