Posted by: yemi | 2009-04-13

advice for supporting family?

i would really appreciate some advice from anybody who has been in a similar situation.

i' m depressed and have some sort of social anxiety and am being treated for both. i' m 19, living at home and studying through unisa. my parents, especially my mother, can' t handle life at the moment, and the situation i' m in is making it ten times worse. my mom gets incredibly miserable, agitated, angry, -just about anything you' d care to mention - because her life isn' t going the way she' d have liked it to go, because everything is so uncertain, and because of everything. just everything seems to be wrong. there is nothing i can say to make a difference.

an idea they had was for me to stay with my sister for a while, but i overheard her saying that although she' d like to help, she just can' t afford to get depressed again (she' s been on ADs for years).

the guilt is becoming unbearable, and although i' m trying to do things proactively - trying to get a job, trying to carry on studying - in many ways i' m getting worse and worse. i don' t know how to help my parents without miraculously getting better myself.

any advice, please?

Sounds like your mom needs to see a shrink, too, for assessment and advice. The ADs she's been on for years, don't seem to be enough, and CBT-style counselling might help her get a grip on her negaive thinking habits. I see nothing for you to feel guilty about --- your parents have a responsibility to help themselves --- you concentrate on getting better yourself