Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2010/03/17

Advice for my son

After reading the articles on this website with regards to ADHD, i have a few questions. My son is 8 years old and is not a highly active child, he does not paticipate in any sports or any physical activity, he likes to spend his time indoors on the computer on in front of the TV. He is a very loud child, have to keep reminding him to talk a little softer as he tend to shout when talking. There are days when he is running around and not listening at all, and there are days when he is calm and have no problems. Is this a sign of ADD or ADHD? I have not heard good reviews with regards to using Ritalin and would rather seek an alternative should he be hyperactive. Please can you advice how i should approach this and what is should do to assist him. Many thanks

Sorry, the forum programming has got messed up, so I could get shut out at any time, and in fact I have asked for the forum to be closed till they can fix the mess that was created.
YOur kid sounds broadly normal, and what you describe doesn't sound like ADHD. That diagnosis should only be made by child shrinks or a pediatrician with a special interest in the condition, nobody else. And only treatment with evidence that it works should be considered - not play therapy, or occupational therapy, or other unproven methods.
A method that is expensive and doesn't work, is too alternative to be considered

1