Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2012-11-21

Advice for Coxsakie virus

Good day
After exhaustive tests, numbering more than I can recount at this stage, the dr (as a last resort) tested for the different strains of Coxsakie virus. The test showed that I have a 642 value(?) in one of the strains (more than double what is considered significant).
I manifest many symptoms (from tiredness, mood swings, sore muscles, headaches, sensitive eyes, fluctuating weight to name but a few), which made the diagnosis all the more difficult.
But now that I know what is causing my symptoms, I am seeking advice on how to manage it. I''ve been exercising regularly and try to eat a balanced diet, but I don''t feel like the general feeling of lethargy/malaise is getting any better (I yawn all the time as well). I understand from most sources that:
1. Most people believe it doesn''t exist (which I consider to be the height of insensitivity and lack of knowledge. Maybe some people are misdiagnosed, but I for one am not, you cannot therefor infer that all diagnosis are wrong) 
2. One cannot get rid of the virus, which I''ve resigned myself to, but I still want to function! I didn''t use to have a problem in falling asleep for example, but my sleep patterns at present is disturbed. It might just be a temporary thing, I don''t know.
I am a proactive person, and I''d like to do something, anything, to feel like I''m making my life better. In a post a few years ago you mentioned that full recoveries are sometimes possible, but no clarification was given. Kindly assist me in this regard...

Nicky

A recent study showed that fluoxetine/Prozac can inhibit the replication of the coxsakievirus. Consult your doctor for advice and a possible script for Prozac. Refer to the following link for detailed information about this condition:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie_virus

As you know there is no real cure and you can only try to live a healthy active life. Consult your doctor if you experience any severe symptoms, in order to have it investigated.

1
Posted by: Nicky2 | 2012-11-22

Thank you for posting this. I would also like some information and answers regarding this. When I was in hospital for severe depression and anxiety, the psychiatrist immaediately tested for this and found my levels elevated. She believes it can cause or worsen depression. I also had extreme fatigue and mood swings etc. She wanted me to have gammaglobulin injections. My G.P did not agree. (What is you professional opinion?)He consulted a virologist who also advised it was not necessary. He doesn''t even want to retest to see if it is still in my blood. I also have glandular fever which reoccurs when i get stressed and exhausted which of course worsens these symptoms.

Reply to Nicky2