Posted by: Friend | 2009-03-27

Advice for a friend

Hi Doc,

I have been reading your site and between you and your regulars quite a lot of good advise handed out. Now my question, I have a young friend (she' s 25) has recently been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, this is very hectic I read about it on Wikipedia and I would like to know if you know about this disease or any one else, and do you have an tips on how I can help her through it, what can I do for her, obviously she is under proper medical care, I am talking about emotional. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
THank you to you Doc and everyone else for your outstanding advise to those of us that post questions.

OK, thanks for the compliment, but this forum deals with psychiatry, not neurology, which Cyberdoc would probably deal with better. But o course we can advise on your main question, about how you ca help your friend. Trigeminal neuralgia is an unpleasant and painful condition, by can respond well to a range of treatments, which may include antidepressants and also drugs otherwise also used to treat epilepsy. I'm pleased to hear she's under good medical cae. That's essential. Apart from encouraging her to persist in that medical care ( it may take time to find the combination of meds that suits her and helps most, there's nothing special you can do other than be the supportive friend you already are. If there's anything specific she needs, be sure she knows she can call on you.

Posted by: Again | 2009-03-27

CS cannot see this message. You have to send a new post for him to be able to read it.

Reply to Again
Posted by: Friend | 2009-03-27

Thanks Doc, I really appreciate that.
She is on quite a lot of meds at this point, as you say, trying to find the one that suits her and the working through the side effects etc. Yes I will be here for her, but that doesn' t seem to be quite good enough for me, thou I know other than that I can' t really do much more.

The reason I posted here is that the other sites are quite useless, your site I have noticed gets a quick same day response specially from you. This one for eg. took just a few minutes. Well done, and once agian thank you.

Reply to Friend