Question
Posted by: Latoya | 2011/10/17

Advice (Drnk and Driving)

I read all the comments on the frustrated men''s post, and wonder if all of you people dont drink and if you do, do you always drink at home or you get drivers to take you home, why i am saying this is because when i was growing up, i always saw people drinking and driving, and i am still seeing it today, yesterday i was with your highest top guns, i mean margistrate, doctors, deputy commissioners, they were drinking and they were suppose to go at some point, how they were going to do it, was a question in my mind. I do drink as well, but 2 or 3 glasses of champagne, then stop and start eating salty/chilli snacks, then drink lots of water to detox and wash off the alcohol.

Frustrated men i must say it was very unfortunated for you to be in the accident, hope you learned a lesson and you not going to repeat this. as for the insurance paying, i dont know, but i read an article that they cannot refuse to pay until the blood samples are back, and i really dont know about how this alcohol story on the blood stream take, all what i can wish is for a miracle to happen and the insurance pay your car, and you never ever drink alcohol and get on to the steering wheel.

Good luck in everything.

Yes, dusgracefully, many people, including many who should know better, choose to drink and drive. And they KILL and cripple other people.
And I thought this was why those high-ups often have drivers and cars provided by the rest of us ?
Sounds like you are wisely more cautious. Fatty snacks, and maybe a glass of water first, may reduce intoxication and hangover.
I don't share your wishes for a miracle so this guy can escape the consequences of the entirely predictably results of what he freelly chose to do. Nobody seems to be wishing for such miracles for the victims of drunk drivers - the widows, the orphans, the cripples.

4
Posted by: Poster | 2011/10/18

20,000 drunk drivers arrested in 11 months
18 Oct 2011 | Sapa | 15 comments
ALMOST 20,000 drunk drivers have been arrested in South Africa in the past 11 months, the Transport Ministry said
" From October 2010 to September 19, 780 drunk drivers have been arrested,"  said spokesman Logan Maistry.
Six hundred of those drivers were sentenced in Western Cape alone.
" Forty-seven were sentenced to prison without the option of paying fines or serving another type of sentence,"  Maistry said.
One was jailed for four years, six for three years and the remaining 40 for between six months and two-and-a-half years.

" A further 12 had their licences cancelled." 

Maistry said about 14-million vehicles and drivers had been stopped and checked in the past 11 months. From August 31 to October 9, over 300000 public transport vehicles were stopped and checked, with 1111 minibuses, 653 buses and 355 trucks taken out of service.

On Thursday and Friday last week, almost 60 public transport buses were removed from service in Gauteng and North West during raids at various bus depots.

" This is part of the pre-December holiday clean-up operation,"  Maistry said.

Another 125 drivers who failed to pay their traffic fines and did not contest the fines in court were arrested in Tembisa and Kempton Park last week.

Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele reiterated that road users who disobeyed the rules of the road would face the consequences of their actions.

Reply to Poster
Posted by: Jenna | 2011/10/17

I don''t drink. I MAY have one glass of something, but it is far and few that I drink. The last time I was drunk was about 5 years ago, and I didn''t have a car then.

Alcohol makes me feel really nauseous (spelling) after one drink, so I tend to shy away from it.

So yes, I can point fingers because I know I don''t drink and drive... I am always designated dave...

Reply to Jenna
Posted by: Nonni | 2011/10/17

When we go out, we have a designated driver who is both competent (ie, it''s not my 17 year old son who just got his learners) and remains sober the whole evening to drive us.

I wish the police were more vigilant and cought more or these idiots who put other peoples lives in danger and kill innocent people. They do not deserve miracles, they deserve jail time.

Reply to Nonni