Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2010/07/08

Advice! after breast cancer

I has breast cancer 6 years ago and havnt had a period since chemo - worried about my bones! - How much calcium/day should I be taking - should i be taking it morning or night - what other vitamins should I be taking? I dont excercise at all - does excercise help to strengthen the bones. How ofter should I have a bone density scan?. I drink about 3 glasses of light wine/night every night and sometimes more on the weekend - does this have a bad effect on my bones. I do stick to a healthy diet though.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Debbie
A baseline bone density should be done and depending on the results, you should have it done every 18-24 months. Discuss this with your doctor. Exercise is quite important- try walking briskly for at least 45 minutes 3xweek. You also need at least 1000mg of calcium and 800IU of vit D per day. Too much alcohol is bad for bones- try and limit intake to 2-3 glasses per day. You can also contact the osteoporosis foundation for more info- tel 021 9317894.

1
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010/07/13

Dear Debbie

Reply to Healthy Bones