Posted by: Kelly | 2012-11-28

Hope someone could provide some insight.
We bought a house a couple of months ago and the previous owner does not want to move out. We''ve started the eviction process more than a month ago, he''s not willing to pay rent, will not accept our help to move, basically he just wants to stay on, on our expense.

By the looks of things it''s only going to be sorted out by Feb-Mar sometime. So now my question is, woul dit be a good idea to move in on top of him? Its a big house so it would be easy for everyone to avoid each other. Its just we were told that we could not do anything to the house while he is there as it would be ''disturbing'' him but if we were staying in the house we could do some renovations.

We would like to at least complete the renovations by the time th eeviction is granted so that we could completely move in and be settled when the time comes. Also could we just move all his things to one section of the house.
Then we are anticipating having a problem with getting a copy of the keys so could we perhaps change the locks BUT give him a copy?

Any advise and please guys no hating.

OK, this is a legal question, and not one a shrink is qualified to answer. What is the previous owner thinking - that you just gave them this marvellous gift of a large amount of money, for them to remain in the place they sold to you ?
Its a fine legal issue as to whether you would benefit or possibly lose some of your rights, if you moved in as well. I see no reason for anyone to be concerned about whether you "bother" him - personally, I'd be inclined to lay charged of theft and fraud against him, for having taken your money under false pretenses. I have no idea whether you would be obliged to give him keys were you to change any locks - if he had keys, what would be the point of changing the locks ?
Make absolutely certain, whatever you do, that YOU are fully compliant with the law, so HE doesn't have any excuse for further delay by complaining about you.

Posted by: Liza | 2012-11-28

Just make sure he can''t just turn around, take your stuff and go out and sell it!

My sister got a scamster tenant (he paid the initial deposit, moved in and then didn''t pay a cent afterwards) to move out by moving some of her friends in on top of him. He endured the constant partying, noise and mess for 2 weeks before moving out. They''d even use his pots and pans to cook up a huge mess - and then leave the dirty pots in the sink for him to clean when he got home.

Just make sure that whatever you do - that it''s legal. This kind of person always know the law and how to bend it to suit them.

Good Luck,

Reply to Liza