Question
Posted by: Worried | 2011-05-31

advice

We are in the process of applying for disability benefits. If approved, I will be paid 75% of my salary.
I know this will sound like a stupid question but I need to know if the 75% is calculated on the net salary or total earnings? Do you perhaps have any advice for someone in my situation. I do not think I will be able to survive on my disability income. Can you give advice on temporary / permanent disability insurance. I will most probably be asked to resign if my boarding is not approved. I work for a good company but unfortunately i am not the employee I used to be. Unfortunately, my illnesses are psychological which I know is going to be extremely hard to prove.

Expert ImageMoney Expert

Hi Worried.
Seems there are at least 2 issues here:
1. Your medical condition, and
2. Your resulting disability

If you are disabled and qualify for the income replacement benefit then it will most probably be calculated on your pensionable income (check the rules in your group life/retirement booklet). Usually this income is aggregated with any other income that you earn - so you will not be able to start another business to supplement this income. This is international best practice and the motivation behind this is that it should never be an incentive for you not to work (if you can).
I am not a legal expert but it does seem strange that the company could board you (medically) without you being paid the disability benefit...I think you need to look into that more
Then onto the 2nd issue - if you are ill you need to get medical help and make sure that your doctors are involved in this process so that you can have a successful claim.