Question
Posted by: mixed bowl of nuts | 2011-05-03

ADVICE

HI Prof
I have a bit of everything: bipolar (mixed), ADD, GAD, eating disorder, a bit of social phobia. The past few years, all the mxed nuts just came spilling out of the closet (just trying to make light of my situation). Now, at the ripe old age of 40 I am siting with these problems which seems to have only gotten worse. My main problem today is.....I woke up this morning unable to get out bed as I was " parlaysed"  with fear of leaving my house, so I ended up not being able to go to work (as you can guess i am in big shit already). When its not one thing, it''s the next. I dread having to leave the house. I don''t feel normal. I feel flike afreak. I don''t feel comfortable being amongst people  travelling to work etc. I think all the public holidays just made things worse for me. I was mentally prepared to go to work today but when I woke up,i felt paralysed with fear. I sat on my bed looking at the clock but could not get a move on. What am I going to do tomorrow? My job is already at stake How do I explain that i feel fine but when i have to leave the house, i sometimes am not able to?

Hmm, picked your problems at the Buffet counter ? But the sort of issues they're usually used to describe, are all in the same family, and all generally respond to the same kinds of treatments - antidepressants, and CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ). You seem to be describing agoraphobia or some similar phobia as the current main ingredient. OK, responds well to treatment as mentioned above.
And be careful not to trap yourself with negative self-descriptions. maybe ( and yes, extra holidays can make it feel worse ) you feel anxious about leaving the house and reluctant to go to work because of that anxiety. That does NOT mean that you "cannot go to work", only that it would be initially more uncomfortable, and then improve as the day wore on.
In these phobias, one can get major problems from allowing the fear of fear to dominate. Concentrate on other aspects of getting ready, rather than simply sitting there quivering with anxiety about going out. And this afternoon, why not go out for a short time, even to walk round the block, to practice and beat down the fear ? And once you'vbe mastered that, try a longer trip.
If you give into this, who will feed you ?

3
Posted by: Truth | 2011-05-03

If i had this sort of phchiatric history and my job was at stake l would be contacting my shrink asap(you must have one with all your mental health issues) and not surfing the net!
You need to inform your employer as soon as possible for non attendance due to health reasons.
Failure to address this will result in unemployment which would be your own fault if you dont help yourself in obtaing health care and advice from your shrink.NOW

Reply to Truth
Posted by: Liza | 2011-05-03

Have you spoken to your psychiatrist about this? Perhaps your meds need to be changed to something more effective. I''ve also had the same paralyzing fear in the past and for me it''s usually an warning sign that I''m about to have a depressive episode.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza