Question
Posted by: SARAH | 2011/01/25

ADVICE

GOOD DAY DOCTOR ,I HAVE HEARD A LOT ABOUT YOU,ABOUT YOUR GOOD ADVICE AND SUPPORT.

IM WORKING WITH LIEZEL AT THE SAME COMPANY,SHE IS ALWAYS ON UR WEBSITE AND SHE CANT WAIT IN THE MORNINGS TO LOG ON.

I MUST ADMIT SINCE SHE IS ON UR WEBSITE I HAVE SEEN A CHANGE IN HER ATTITUDE TOWARDS DIETING AND EXERCISING.SHE HATED DIETS AND EXERCISES.

SHE IS ALSO LOSING WEIGHT

SO I DECIDED TO ALSO LOG ON TO UR WEBSITE AND LOSE WEIGHT AND I HAVE LEARNED ALOT.

IM OVERWEIGHT BECAUSE MY BMI IS 29

I WEIGH 73 AND MY LENGT IS 1.56.I WOULD LIKE TO WEIGH 62 AND WEAR A SIZE 30

ME AND LIEZEL DECIDED TO CHALLENGE EACH OTHER AND SEE WHO LOSES THE MOST WEIGHT.

I EXERCISES ALSO 30 MINUTES ON MY STATIONARY BIKE 3 TIMES A WEEK AND THEN DO TONING EXERCISES 2 TIMES A WEEK(TONING EXERCISES CONSIST OF AB CRUNCHES,push ups,leg raising ect.).OTHER TWO DAYS OF THE WEEK I REST.IS THE EXERCISES ENOUGH TO HELP ME LOSE WEIGHT WITH MY DIET OR MUST I EXERCISE MORE.

MY DIET CONSIST OF:

MORNING(09-11 00)

1 CUP WEIGH LESS MUESLI/NATURES SOURCE LITE &  CRISPY
4 TEASPOONS LOW FAT JOGHURT + 2 GLASSES WATER

SNACK(12 00)
3 PROVITAS WITH OR WITHOUT MARMITE + 1GLAS WATER

LUNCH(14-15:00)
2 WHOLEWHEAT LOW GI BREAD
2 TEASPOONS LOW FAT COTTAGE CHEESE
3-4 SLICES TOMATO &  CUCUMBER + 2 GLASSES WATER

SNACK (17:00)
A FRUIT OR HANDFULL PEANUTS + 1 GLAS WATER

SUPPER(18:30-19:00)
1 CUP COOK VEGETABLES
COOK CHICKEN WITHOUT SKIN OR FISH PREPARED IN MICROWAVE
1-2 LOW GI BREAD OR 1 CUP BROWN RICE + 2 GLASSES WATER

SNACK<br>A FRUIT +1 GLAS WATER

I ALSO DRINK 2 CUPS OF COFFEE A DAY WITH 1 TEASPOON SUGAR AND 2 % LOW FAT MILK

DOCTOR AFTER I EXERCISE IN THE MORNING,I DONT FEEL HUNGRY,MAYBE 8 O''CLOCK I WILL DRINK MY CUP OF COFFEE AND EAT MY BREAKFAST BETWEEN 9:30 AND 11:00 O'' CLOCK. IS IT A PROBLEM?

IF I WANT TO EXERCISE ON MY BIKE AT NIGHT WHICH TIME WILL BE BEST BEFORE I EAT MY SUPPER OR AFTER.AND HOW MANY HOURS MUST I EXERCISE BEFORE SUPPER AND HOW MANY HOURS MUST I EXERCISE AFTER SUPPER.

DOCTOR LAST QUESTION
CAN I EAT ANY FRUIT FOR SNACK TIME BECAUSE I HEARD SOME HAVE A LOW GI AND OTHERS A HIGH GI AND PEANUTS IS IT FINE TO EAT IT 7 DAYS A WEEK AS A SNACK

Dear Sarah
Thank you for your kind words, which make my week. Liezel is indeed a regular contributor to this forum and I am very pleased to hear that I could make a positive difference in her life. Now to answer your questions: I calculated your BMI and it is 30, which is high. If you want to lose those 11 kg, which would give you a BMI of 25.5 (just above the upper level of normal which is 25), then the eating plan and exercise should help. I think it is a wonderful idea for you and Liezel to give each other support and to compete a bit when losing weight because it can be a lonely endeavour when you try losing weight on your own. As regards exercise, the more aerobic exercise you do, the better it is for you weightloss. I would suggest that you cycle on your stationary bike at least 5 times a week if possible. It may be more advantageous if you cycle about 1 hour before supper because doing strenuous exercise after a meal can cause nausea. The diet you describe in fine, but do try and add at least 1-2 extra servings of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese per day - this is to ensure that you still obtain sufficient calcium to prevent a condition called brittle bones in the present and osteoporosis in future. It is not essential to eat breakfast immediately after getting up, you can have your breakfast between 09:30 and 11:00 if that suits you best. In general, nutrition experts recommend that one should eat ‘a meal in the morning’ without stating at what time. You can eat most fruit as snacks. As a general rule, deciduous fruits like apples, apricots, pears, grapes and plums, as well as citrus fruit (oranges, grapefruit, naartjies) and berries (strawberry, blackberry, etc) have a lower GI than tropical fruit (pawpaw, mango, banana). You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information about the GI of foods, including The SA Glycemic Index & Load Guide (which you can order for R100). Peanuts are an excellent food being rich in monounsaturated fats (which protect us against heart disease), B vitamins and plant protein, but they have a high energy content of 2431 kJ per 100g, so have a small portion of not more than 30g per day, otherwise this food could hamper your weightloss.
Good luck with the weightloss.
Best regards to you and to Liezel

4
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/01/26

Hallo Sarah
Just a suggestion. Dont reply on the doctors feedback. Rather send her a fresh new post.
Good luck to you.

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: SARAH | 2011/01/26

Doctor sorry i have to bother you again ,i have a few more questions,the 1-2 servings of calcuim that i must add to my diet.Can i eat my 3 provitas with a thin layer of cottage cheese on all 3 of the provitas instead of marmite.Will my intake of calcuim then be enough.And the two cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of sugar and 2 % low fat milk is it fine in my diet.Or must i replace the 2 % low fat milk with skim milk and must i not drink my coffee with 1 teaspoon sugar,Doctor i also decided to exercise 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon or 1 hour before my supper,is the toning exercises necessary as i dont want to build muscles i just want to lose weight.Im sorry to ask you all this questions but i really want to lose weight and i dont want to make any mistakes by eating and drinking wrong foods.

Reply to SARAH
Posted by: SARAH | 2011/01/26

Doctor i really appreciate it that u answered all my questions and for ur good advice.I did find a list of low gi and high gi fruits,so atleast i know now what fruits to eat.Doctor if i eat a handfull of peanuts a day because i am not sure how much is 30g or must i make it smaller than a handfull,will it hamper my weight loss or must i substitute it with homemade popcorn,bake the popcorn with 2 teaspoons of olive oil,canola or sunflower oil or can i use cook and spray.The peanuts is salted is that a problem.or must i buy the peanuts and raisins pack.

Reply to SARAH

Dear Sarah
Good luck with the weightloss.
Best regards to you and to Liezel