Posted by: Flower1980 | 2010-04-29

Don''t know if I am doing the right thing, judge me if you must. Busy getting a divorce, hubby heavy drinker, abuse me twice in the 7 years, I decide to cheat on him to compensate my feelings of hurt. Long story short, I am involve with my lover, move out and happy. Now question is, he cannot afford to buy a house, is it wise just to sigh over my half of the house over to him, he cannot afford to pay me my half out, and most of the money that''s in the property like the deposit was paid by his mom. Am I being fair in doing so by leaving the property to him with furniture and everything. It means I get nothing out. He doe''snt know about the affair, does it compensate to what I did to him?

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Flower,

First of all there is no judgment. Every situation is different and your circumstances account for your experience.

Sometimes leaving everything behind can be a solution to allow somehow to move on with their life but it is important to also address your needs. You have been married for 7 yrs and there a due to you to. Do you have children with him? in this case this would be for their benefit. If there are no children then it really is up to you. You don't have to make up for anything. You were in an abusive marriage and there is no excuse for that and for how he treated you. If you are entitled to half the property and he cannot buy your half then another option is to sell the property and split the amount between you giving you each a fair amount to get started on your new lives.

I hope this helps.