Question
Posted by: Tah | 2009/10/28

Advice

Dear Cyberdoc,

I am currently very over weight and struggling to lose weight. I am suffering with various other problems such as extreme sinusitis and acid reflux on a daily basis. Diabetes runs in my family too and I am scared as I am carrying ALOT of weight around my waist and have constant thirst pangs.
I want to see a Dr and have relevant blood tests done. The only one I know of is having the thyroid tested. Would you be able to advise me as to what I should ask my Dr to test for. I currently don' t have a " DR"  parse and therefore will be seeing a new one in my area.
No matter if I eat right and exercise I cannot come down in weight. A few years ago I was advised by a dietitian that I go have tests done as they thought I had a lazy metabolism.
I think hormones might have something to do with that?

Many thanks

Dear Tah
You should have at least the following tests done: fasting lipid profile, fasting blood sugar, thyroid function test, full blood count, prolactin. Make an appointment early in the morning and don't eat or drink anything except water from 22h00 the previous night (for the bloods) The doctor will probably examine you and may need to do extra tests.

3
Posted by: Gp | 2009/10/29

GP is good for a start

Reply to Gp
Posted by: Tah | 2009/10/28

Thank you so much Dr Bets! so is that a general GP then?

Reply to Tah
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/28

Dear Tah

Reply to cyberdoc